The Marrickville Metro site has a long association with industry. European settlement began in 1795 with a 30acre farm that provided the Sydney Markets with what was reported to be an excellent supply of fruit and vegetables. Scottish migrant, John Vicars, had established a successful woollen manufacturing business in Sydney, and in 1893 his sons developed a new mill on this site with a staff of 200. The mill made tweeds and blankets, and during the World Wars was a major supplier to the armed forces, employing 2,000 people during the 2nd World War. Fletcher Jones was a major customer in the 1950s and 1960s and a large proportion of the staff were migrants, especially from Greece. To remind us of the history of our land, the external wall of the woollen mill has been preserved with Marrickville Metro Shopping Centre built within. The old Mill House built in c.1860 is heritage listed and is used as our Centre Management Office. It is one of the oldest surviving houses in the municipality. To learn more about John Vicars please click here.